EXPERIMENTAL STUDY ON UNIVERSAL BASIC INCOME
A working group of researchers from a range of organisations under the project leadership of Kela, the Social Insurance Institution of Finland, is exploring ways in which to carry out an experimental study focusing on the implementation of a universal basic income scheme. The project is part of the Finnish Government’s analysis, assessment and research plan for 2015.
The objective is to identify and compare different models for a universal basic income experiment
The Finnish Government’s programme calls for the implementation of a universal basic income experiment. The purpose of the experiment is to find ways to reshape the social security system in response to changes in the labour market. The experiment will also explore how to make the system more empowering and more effective in terms of providing incentives for work. Further objectives include the reduction of bureaucracy and the streamlining of the complicated benefits system.
A preliminary study will seek to identify a model for implementing the universal basic income experiment. The experiment in turn will evaluate the effect of a basic income in different population groups and produce an overall cost estimate.
The preliminary study is conducted as a collaborative effort between the following institutions:
- Research Department at Kela
- University of Helsinki
- University of Tampere
- University of Eastern Finland
- University of Turku
- Sitra Innovation Fund
- Tänk, a Finnish think tank, and
- VATT Institute for Economic Research
The Federation of Finnish Entrepreneurs and experts on municipal governance, tax law and constitutional matters also contribute to the project. The project is headed by Professor Olli Kangas, director of research at Kela (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The preliminary study was launched at the end of October 2015
- A review of existing information and experiences with universal basic income models trialled in other countries will be presented to government ministries and agencies in spring 2016
- An analysis of experimental models and study designs will be produced in the second half of 2016
- The universal basic income experiment is planned to be launched in 2017
You can find more information on the project on Kela’s website here: www.kela.fi/web/en/experimental-study-on-a-universal-basic-income