Organisation and decision-making
As a fund directly accountable to the Finnish Parliament, our decision-making processes are tied to parliamentary systems. Our administration includes a Supervisory Board, Board and President.
Sitra – owned by the people
Sitra’s administrative bodies
The core of Sitra’s administration consists of the Supervisory Board, Board and President. Administration and accounts are audited by accountants appointed by Parliament.
The Supervisory Board is appointed by the Finnish Parliament, and it monitors Sitra’s management and makes decisions on operational principles.
The members of the Supervisory Board are:
- Tarja Filatov, Member of the Parliament
- Eveliina Heinäluoma, Member of the Parliament
- Antti Lindtman, Member of the Parliament
- Riikka Purra, Member of the Parliament
- Veijo Niemi, Member of the Parliament
- Anne-Mari Virolainen, Member of the Parliament
- Janne Heikkinen, Member of the Parliament
- Markus Lohi, Member of the Parliament
- Anu Vehviläinen, Member of the Parliament
- Pirkka-Pekka Petelius, Member of the Parliament
- Katja Hänninen, Member of the Parliament
- Joakim Strand, Member of the Parliament
- Sari Tanus, Member of the Parliament
The secretary to the Supervisory Board is Anton Mäkelä, Master of Laws.
Sitra’s Board prepares and presents the matters to be decided by the Supervisory Board and is responsible for the general management of the fund. The rest of Sitra’s personnel are appointed by the President. Sitra has roughly 180 employees (179 at the end of 2018).
The Board of Directors consists of six members. The Board serves a term of two years and its members are:
- Chair Anita Lehikoinen, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education and Culture.
- Vice Chair Päivi Nerg, Permanent Under-Secretary, Ministry of Finance.
- Tarja Halonen, former President of the Republic of Finland.
- Keijo Hämäläinen, Rector, University of Jyväskylä.
- Jorma Ollila, M.Sc. in Engineering Physics, M.Sc. in Political Science.
- Petri Peltonen, Under-Secretary of State, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment.
Jorma Jaalivaara, Head of Legal Affairs at Sitra, acts as secretary to the Board.
The President of Sitra oversees its operations. Jyrki Katainen, MSc., has served as President of Sitra since January 2020.
Sitra’s President manages the administration of the fund and develops its operations, in line with the instructions and stipulations provided by the Supervisory Board and the Board of Directors. Measures and decisions of an extraordinary qualitative or quantitative nature must be referred to the Board.
The members of the Management team are:
- Jyrki Katainen, President
- Tapio Anttila, Executive Vice President
- Veera Heinonen, Director, Communications and Public Affairs
- Päivi Hirvola, Director, Societal Training and Development
- Jorma Jaalivaara, Head of Legal Affairs
- Antti Kivelä, Director, Capacity for renewal
- Mari Pantsar, Director, Carbon-neutral circular economy
- Heidi Saario, Director, HR, Finance and ICT
- Sami Tuhkanen, Vice President, Investments
- Katri Vataja, Director, Foresight, Insight & Strategy
Themes and functions
We are organised around three themes and two functions. Our projects are based on the goals determined by our themes and functions.
To support our work, we constantly evaluate our activities: are we doing the right things, at the right time and in an effective manner?