Organisation and decision-making
As a fund directly accountable to the Finnish Parliament, our decision-making processes are tied to parliamentary systems. Our administration includes a Supervisory Board, Board and President.
Sitra – owned by the people
Sitra’s administrative bodies
The core of Sitra’s administration consists of the Supervisory Board, Board and President. Administration and accounts are audited by accountants appointed by Parliament.
Sitra’s Supervisory Board includes members of the Parliamentary Supervisory Council of the Bank of Finland, which is appointed by the Finnish Parliament. The Supervisory Board monitors Sitra’s management and makes decisions on operational principles.
The members of the Supervisory Board are:
- Matti Vanhanen, Member of Parliament, Chair
- Pentti Oinonen, Member of Parliament, Vice Chair
- Olavi Ala-Nissilä, Member of Parliament
- Kalle Jokinen, Member of Parliament
- Seppo Kääriäinen, Member of Parliament
- Jutta Urpilainen, Member of Parliament
- Pia Viitanen, Member of Parliament
- Ville Vähämäki, Member of Parliament
- Ben Zyskowicz, Member of Parliament
The secretary to the Supervisory Board is Anton Mäkelä, Master of Laws.
Sitra’s Board prepares and presents the matters to be decided by the Supervisory Board and is responsible for the general management of the fund. The Board appoints the Executive Vice President based on a proposal from the President. The rest of Sitra’s personnel are appointed by the President. Sitra has roughly 160 employees (156 at the end of 2016).
The Board of Directors consists of six members and the Ministry of Finance, the Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, and the Ministry of Education and Culture must be represented. Sitra’s President is also a member of the Board. An effort is also made to ensure that appropriate expertise in business and finance is represented in the composition of the board members. The Board serves a term of two years and its members are:
- Martti Hetemäki, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Finance, Chair
- Jari Gustafsson, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Economic Affairs and Employment, Vice Chair
- Mikko Kosonen, President, Sitra
- Anne Kovalainen, Professor, Turku School of Economics
- Anita Lehikoinen, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Education and Culture
- Kirsi Sormunen
Jorma Jaalivaara, Head of Legal Affairs at Sitra, acts as secretary to the Board.
The President of Sitra oversees its operations. Mikko Kosonen, D.Sc. (Econ), has served as President of Sitra since 2008.
Sitra’s President manages the administration of the fund and develops its operations, in line with the instructions and stipulations provided by the Supervisory Board and the Board of Directors. Measures and decisions of an extraordinary qualitative or quantitative nature must be referred to the Board.
The members of the Management team are:
- Mikko Kosonen, President
- Tapio Anttila, Executive Vice President
- Veera Heinonen, Director, Communications and Public Affairs
- Jorma Jaalivaara, Head of Legal Affairs
- Antti Kivelä, Director, Capacity for renewal
- Paula Laine, Director, Foresight, Insight and Strategy
- Timo Lindholm, Director, New working life and sustainable economy
- Mari Pantsar, Director, Resource-wise and carbon-neutral society
- Heidi Saario, Director, HR, Finance and ICT
- Sami Tuhkanen, Vice President, Endowment Capital