Smart Forest - instructions and rules
Details and rules on the Smart Forest call for ideas...
1. Call for ideas – brief
What it’s all about
Smart Forest is an open call for ideas organised by Sitra with the aim of finding and supporting new value-adding IoT (internet of things) solutions to forest products and services.
The call for ideas is taking place during the autumn of 2015.
Sitra may also provide sparring support to the awarded teams for further development of their ideas in the spring of 2016.
- We are looking for IoT solutions that can most effectively add value to forest products and services.
- See section 3, “Idea submissions”.
2. Instructions and rules
Who can participate?
Participation in the call for ideas is open to teams of 2 to 5 people.
The submission can be an existing or a completely new solution (see criteria).
All ideas submitted by 08:00 on 22 October 2015 that fit the criteria will be evaluated.
Forming a team
- Participation requires teams of 2 to 5 people.
A representative of the team must be appointed.
- Each team must prepare a presentation that briefly describes the skills and backgrounds of team members.
Teams can register their participation through the Viima online tool on Sitra’s website.
A team can also be formed at the Smart Forest Hackday event on 19 October 2015.
3. Idea submissions
- Each team will submit their ideas (in English or Finnish) by using the Viima online tool on Sitra’s website.
Participants are asked to take into account that ideas are public, open for comment and as a result available for use by anyone.
- Ideas cannot be edited afterwards, but new ideas can be submitted.
What needs to be described in the idea submission?
What and how big is the problem the team specifically wants to solve? (Problem framing is critical – do it well!)
How would the proposed IoT solution solve the problem?
- How much added value could the solution bring to forest products and services?
How will the idea be implemented and what is required?
Links need to be provided to supporting material (PDFs, SlideShare, Prezi, websites, etc.).
4. Smart Forest Hackday event on 19 October 2015
Sitra will organise a Smart Forest Hackday event in Helsinki.
Register your interest through the participation link provided, by 5 October 2015. Places are limited.
At the event teams can develop and receive feedback on their ideas.
Preliminary schedule, 08:30-17:00:
- Team formation
- Presentations on the forest industry and the internet of things
- Idea hacking in teams
- Feedback sessions
- The final schedule and programme will be sent to event participants.
5. Idea evaluation and criteria
- Novelty and innovation
- Potential for sustainable well-being
- Feasibility of idea
- Diversity of team
- Co-creation and feedback
- Sitra has the right to publish ideas (for example at the European Paper Week 2015, Sitra sessions at Slush 2015).
- Sitra may provide sparring support from Sitra specialists and partners to reward ideas for further development of ideas.
- Sitra will offer some selected teams the possibility to participate in potential Sitra-organised co-working sessions in the spring of 2016.
- Sparring support and organsiation of co-working sessions will be decided upon the results of the call.
- Prize money for best teams and ideas:
- 1st place: 3000 euros
- 2nd place: 2000 euros
- 3rd place: 1000 euros
7. Use rights
- Sitra has the right to freely use, spread, publish and edit team idea submissions.
- Each participant must ensure that their submissions do not violate any third party right and that Sitra may use submissions in the way described in this document.