This year’s Reveal Your Skills week will take place from 2 to 8 October 2023, hosted by SECLE, the Service Centre for Continuous Learning and Employment. Sign up to take part in Reveal Your Skills week.
Skills emerge in many different environments: working life, daily life, free time, studies, courses, hobbies, family life – in any context, really. Sometimes we don’t even recognise our own skills.
What is it about?
We invited participants from various fields to join us in the Reveal Your Skills campaign in Aug 30 – Sept 12, 2021! The Reveal Your Skills week brought together more than 350 actors to help people identify their own competences and make them visible.
First organised in 2021, the week is now coordinated by the Service Centre for Continuous Learning and Employment.
The social media hashtag is #RevealYourSkills
On this website, you’ll find up-to-date information on the upcoming Reveal your skills campaign. This two-week campaign is focused on what we can achieve together. The aim is to engage in various activities that help people recognise their skills, make them more visible and make this issue a topic of public discussion. With this in mind, we welcome a wide range of participants to join us in this campaign.
Look at the list of the organisations (in Finnish) which have signed up.
Reveal your skills campaign
- Inspire and encourage everyone to recognise their skills and make them more visible
- Stimulate public discussion about the fact that the ability to recognise one’s skills is one of the conditions for engagement, agency, well-being and employment
- Brings various participants together around a shared message
The campaign has been planned in co-operation between Sitra, the Finnish Association of Adult Education Centres and Sivis Study Centre.
The Reveal your skills campaign promotes the lifelong learning objective that 30 key participants in society have developed for Finland. According to the objective, it is important that individuals and communities have the ability to make their skills visible and take advantage of their strengths.
Our key messages
- Skills are accumulated in various environments: working life, daily life, hobbies, free time, family life, education, training, courses, and so on. Skills are valuable regardless of where they emerge!
- We all have various skills and when we recognise them, we can find uses for them. Recognising skills is part of the general knowledge of the future.
- Skills are valuable in themselves, and recognising them and making them visible is significant from the perspectives of engagement, agency, education, well-being and employment.
Recognize your skills!
These exercises will help you to identify your strengths.
Skills mirror exercise
My strengths – individual exercise
Gain insights into your skills by having your partner interview you
How to get involved?
We want to create the programme for the campaign in collaboration with various parties that recognise the importance of revealing skills: communities, businesses, non-governmental organisations, adult education centres, educational institutions, networks and anyone else who is interested in this topic.
If you want to help people recognise their various skills and make them visible as well as participate in discussion on the importance of recognising skills, this is the right campaign for you.
The following organisations and communities have already signed up to implement the Reveal your skills campaign.
How can I participate?
You or your organisation or community can participate through actions small or big – for example, in the following ways:
- By providing tools, organising events or offering other assistance to help recognise and highlight skills either openly for everyone or in a more restricted manner for your customers, members, employees, partners, networks or friends.
- By highlighting this issue in your communication channels and social media platforms: blogs, articles, statements, tweets, etc.
- By sharing content published by other participants and engaging in public discussion
- By conducting Skills Timeout dialogues
- Anything else you can think of – feel free to come up with your own ideas! You can post information about open events, blogs, articles etc. on the Facebook Event Page.
We do not compromise on the following principles:
What we offer to all campaign participants
We believe that the campaign participants themselves have the best understanding and knowledge of how they can help their target audiences recognise their skills and make them visible and to highlight the importance of this issue. Nevertheless, we offer the following to all campaign participants:
Tools and visibility
We have gathered and published simple individual, pair and group assignments to make it easier to recognise skills.
And during the campaign weeks, we will publish info about the events and articles on our web site and social media channels, and we will bring up the issue in public discussion. Those who have singed up to the campaign can use the following communcations material:
- Reveal your skills sign
- Video, 1 min, which inspires and encourages everyone to recognise their skills and make them more visible. It can be shown also to Timeout dialogue participants
- Facebook Event Page, where you can post information about your open events, Timeout dialogues, blogs, articles etc.
Skills Timeout dialogues
Engaging in dialogue with other people is one of the best ways to gain new insights about one’s skills. Timeout dialogue is a method of constructive and equal discussion that serves this purpose.
Discussions can be held with various types of groups: recreational groups, study groups, workplace communities, customer groups or even people who do not know each other previously. The discussions require a facilitator, and it can be arranged either face-to-face or online. We provide instructions to everyone who signs up (to Maikki Siuko). Find out more about Skills Timeout dialogues.
Skills Timeout dialogues
Join the campaign by organising a Skills Timeout dialogue in weeks 35–36! We provide instructions and orientation training to everyone who signs up (to Maikki Siuko).
What is a Skills Timeout dialogue?
We all accumulate skills in various environments, but recognising our own skills and strengths is not always easy. Many Finns feel that they have skills that they could put to more effective use in society.
Interaction and other people play a key role in recognising one’s skills. Participating in equal and confidential discussions is a good way to recognise one’s skills. The purpose of the Skills Timeout dialogue method is to help the participants recognise their competencies: knowledge, skills, strengths, attitudes – all of the things they are good at!
Discussions can be held with various types of groups: recreational groups, study groups, workplace communities, customer groups or even people who do not know each other previously. These discussions require a facilitator. We offer orientation training to facilitators.
You can organise a discussion either online or face-to-face.
If you are interested in organising a Skills Timeout dialogue event, please contact Maikki Siuko.