Toolkit with building blocks for carbon neutrality for companies
In the markets of the future, the most successful companies will be the ones that are the first to take advantage of the business opportunities provided by carbon neutrality.
WHAT IS IT ABOUT?
Closed project: January 2014 to October 2016
The world is moving towards a low-carbon economy at unprecedented speed. Pioneering companies are already creating products and services for this in Finland and helping others to follow in their footsteps. The transition is progressing rapidly, and the competition is tough. But what does carbon neutrality mean for a company?
Achieving carbon neutrality requires a comprehensive transformation. This is a long process that requires the entire company’s commitment to strive for carbon neutrality, and the systematic, continuous development of its operations. In addition, the operating environment must encourage companies to change their practices and develop new kinds of business models. This makes government and municipal decisions and novel co-operation models highly important.
What do we do?
In co-operation with various companies and organisations, Sitra has been building practical tools for becoming carbon-neutral. We have created a toolkit with building blocks for carbon neutrality for Finnish companies. This means information, methods and models that will help them to compile a road map to carbon neutrality. The building blocks cover strategy, management, innovation activities, business development and emissions reduction.
We have co-operated with several Finnish companies in creating the toolkit. Good examples from forward-looking companies can be found in our article series.
What was achieved?
Here are the results of this co-operation.
- Strategy study Benefits of carbon neutrality in a rapidly changing business environment (Frost & Sullivan) and the infographics summarising its results
- Climate Impact Assessment of Companies listed on Nasdaq Helsinki (South Pole Group and CDP) and a repeat study with figures from 2015 (South Pole Group) and a repeat study with figures from 2016 (ISS-Ethix Climate Solutions)
- Global Climate Screening Tool, User Guide and Technical report (Met Office)
Management and corporate culture
- Innovaatiojohtamisen ja jatkuvan parantamisen pelikirja – Kohti vähähiilisyyttä, Playbook for innovation management and continuous improvement – Towards a low carbon society, available in Finnish only (RAMSE)
- Rules for carbon neutrality: Carbon Game is on! Companies on the move to be carbon-neutral (Finnish Environment Institute SYKE)
- Forward looking companies set science-based targets (Ecofys)
- Carbon handprint – communicating the good we do (VTT) and a video on carbon handprint
New clean business opportunities
- Cleantech kasvuun! Keinoja ja hyviä käytäntöjä, Growth for Cleantech! Methods and good practices, available in Finnish only (Finnish Environment Institute SYKE)
- Biokaasusta kasvua, Growth from biogas, available in Finnish only (Ramboll)
- Joustavan toimitilakehittämisen suuri murros, Real estate business models in transition, available in Finnish only (Resolute HQ and 4L)
All articles, blogs and videos produced in English during the project are available on this page.
Where are we now?
In autumn 2016 FIBS started coaching Finnish companies with the toolkit built by Sitra, and we will be hearing results in the spring 2017.
Results from the project
Carbon footprint of Nasdaq Helsinki listed firms down by a fifth
Carbon handprint spurs new growth
Article series – Carbon-neutral climate business
Finnish companies realise the opportunities presented by decarbonisation
Biogas can bring growth and new business to rural areas and cities
Customers become sellers: exploring opportunities for two-way heat trading
Other interesting topics